Rosanette Almond (1793?-1854)

by Don Bradmore and Judith Carter


Rosanette Almond, a 44-year-old wife and mother, was convicted at the Kesteven Quarter Sessions, Lincolnshire, England, on 19 October 1837 of stealing ‘a pair of cord trousers and various other articles of wearing apparel’ and sentenced to transportation for 7 years. After imprisonment for some months in Lincoln Castle, she was put aboard John Renwick which sailed from Woolwich on 25 April 1838 and reached Port Jackson on 31 August.

Nothing is known of her former life except that, according to her convict documents, she was born at St Germain, near Paris, France, that her husband was John Almond, a labourer, and that she had one son. At her trial, a number of witnesses mentioned that she spoke with a foreign accent.

The ship’s indent describes her as being 5 feet 1 inch (154.94 cm) tall, with brown eyes, dark brown hair tinged with grey, and a ruddy, freckled complexion. She had a diagonal scar on the left side of her forehead, another above her right eyebrow and a third on her upper lip. On her lower right arm was a tattoo which read ‘G. Pillip’. She was a Roman Catholic. She could read but not write. She was a cook. She had had no previous convictions. Well-behaved as a convict, she was granted a ticket of leave in February 1843 which confined her to the Windsor district. Later that year, the ticket of leave was altered, allowing her to relocate to the Parramatta district.

However, after receiving her certificate of freedom in May 1845, she appears to have drifted to the Sydney CBD where, by the early 1850s, she had become well known to police as a derelict alcoholic and a nuisance. The entrance books of Darlinghurst Gaol show that she was locked up frequently during 1851, 1852 and 1853 for drunkenness and disorderly conduct. In 1853, a police officer who had often arrested her told the court that she earned her living by telling fortunes.

Referring to her variously as ‘Rose’, ‘Rosanna’, ‘Rosannah’ and ‘Rossanna’ Almond, newspapers of the day described her as ‘a person of very intemperate habits’, ‘an old woman of drunken and dissolute habits’, ‘an old hag’, ‘a very old carbuncled-faced woman’ and ‘a drunken old creature [who] ought to be sent to a mad house’.

On the evening of 24 January 1854, as she walking in a drunken manner in the Parramatta Road, she was knocked to the ground by a horse being ridden furiously towards the city. Dazed, she was carried to a nearby hotel where, after a short time, she seemed to recover and was able to walk away. Arrested for drunkenness some hours later, she was taken to a police station and locked up for the night. The next morning she was found to be very ill in her cell. She was semi-conscious and unable to speak. She was removed immediately to the Benevolent Asylum Hospital for treatment where, shortly afterwards, a doctor pronounced her dead. A subsequent autopsy revealed that she had died of a blood clot on the brain believed to have been produced by external violence. A record of her burial place has not been located.

Following an inquest, the rider of the horse was charged with manslaughter but the case might never have been brought to court. A report of the trial has not been found.

Back to list


© 2016 Convict Women's Press Inc.